Now that Spring is just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about cleaning your home, especially if you plan to sell this year. We’re turning to Bettina Blanchard, Founder & Chief Organizer of Bettina & Company of Portland, Maine for help. “I have worked with Bettina in preparing clients for a move. Bettina is very organized, professional, and takes the worry and hassle out of the move,” says Colleen Bedard of Portland Maine Living. Bettina lays out the best plan to tackle your home cleaning project in 6 easy steps.
To start, know the difference between the two types of cleaning practices:
1. Routine cleaning. Kitchens, baths, surfaces, and floors. These are the areas we get the most dirty, so makes sense every homes needs this 2-4 times a month.
2. Periodic (or semi-annual) cleaning. Windows, gutters, refrigerators, ovens, are some of the things that only need cleaning a 1-2 times a year.
When it is time to put your house on the market, you want to be caught up with the routine tasks as well as the periodic cleaning. Kitchens and bathrooms are key. To make them as spotless as possible, Bettina recommends the following 6 steps:
1. Detail clean. Every kitchen appliance from toaster oven to refrigerator. Prospective buyers don’t want to be concerned with replacing the big-ticket items. Make sure the refrigerator is clean inside and out. White eraser sponges will make you look like a pro.
2. Look up. Make sure all the ceiling lights and fan fixtures are dust free and clean. Take down and wash the globes. It may surprise you the difference this makes.
3. Replace toilet seats. Not kidding. Unless they have no wear showing whatsoever. Just do it.
4. Make like new. Take a tooth brush to all wall switches and outlets and then wipe them clean with a microfiber cloth.
5. Don’t cut corners. Move the furniture and clean underneath couches, chairs, and beds.
6. Wash windows. Clean windows and sills are like having clean eye glasses. You can see much better.
Nothing says pride in ownership like a clean house. Details matter. Don’t be afraid to pull out all the stops. If you are not going to do the cleaning yourself, hire a very thorough cleaning company. The house will feel great, and that will come through to prospective buyers.
No time or interest in doing this yourself? Call 207-233-1622. Bettina & Company loves to help clients transform their beloved home into a market ready property that sells for top dollar, fast. Schedule a free, moving plan meeting and let them make it easy.
Bettina & Company // www.bettinablanchard.com